Tebow vs. McCoy

Posted on November 30, 2009

It appears from much of the discussion on the major sites and in Twitterland that (unless someone else does something amazing) the Heisman will come down to Gerhart, McCoy and Tebow.  I think Gerhart has been fantastic this year, but he’s going to struggle when it’s all said and done.  He’s on the west coast, so many of the voters haven’t seen him.  Plus, Stanford is 8-4 with a loss to a very mediocre Wake Forest team.  This doesn’t mean I’ll ignore his candidacy this week, but I think there’s a pretty good chance that it will come down to McCoy and Tebow for the trophy.

McCoy’s got great numbers and for those voters that will just pull their stats lines, he’ll be their guy.  I think McCoy is a very good quarterback.  But I think his level of competition merits scrutinizing those stats of his.  I’ve written before that Tebow’s numbers come from this year’s coaching philosophy, not some failure on his part.  The Gators have become a team focused on running the ball first and rarely throwing it down field.  They also play in the very defensive minded SouthEastern Conference.  Say what you want about a “down year,” but the SEC still plays the best defense in the nation.

Total passing yards McCoy beats Tebow hands down.  But when you look at things like total interceptions, Tebow has fewer than half the interceptions of McCoy – again because of the offensive mindset.  But what about efficiency and effectiveness at the position.  When you do attempt a pass, how many yards do you average?  How frequently do you throw a touchdown?  How infrequently do you throw costly interceptions?  And how do you perform when you play the best opposition?

Overall, both players have played effective, efficient football.  Their best stat line is 12-0.  However, how did they contribute to being there?

overall

Tebow has the better passer rating, TD percentage, Interception percentage and more total touchdowns.  He also has a significantly better passer rating and yards per attempt.  Most importantly, he’s faced far better overall pass defenses.

But how have they both performed while under pressure?  How much do those overall numbers change when you focus on just their best competition.  I looked at the same stats for games against only the Top 40 pass defenses.  (Note: when I first published this article, I was asked almost immediately “Why Top 40 pass defenses?”.  The inference was that I am cherrypicking good numbers for Tebow.  I chose 40 because that is the exact ranking of the second best pass defense Texas played.  They didn’t play another pass defense in the Top 70.  Once you get to the bottom 50 pass defenses, I can no longer justify it as checking stats against the “best competition”.)

Top40

The difference between the quarterbacks becomes far more pronounced when you look at these stats.  Tebow’s numbers are virtually identical to his full season numbers.  McCoy’s drop substantially.  In fact, McCoy’s average stat line for these games plunges – 196 yards passing, 1 TD, 1 Int.

Be Sociable, Share!

113 Responses to “Tebow vs. McCoy”

1. William
    Dec 02, 2009

Ya guy, your "pee wee" defense had to be saved by the rigged SEC officiating not once, but twice this season.

I don't read a lot into the Aggy game, since its a heated rivalry game on the road.

One of the greatest teams of all time, led by THE GREATEST PLAYER OF OUR GENERATION, had a sluggish game @ Texas A&M in 2005. 2 games later, they defeated a team that had run off 34 straight and were back to back defending Nat'l Champs.

You're comparing Apples to Oranges. Aggy played Arky at a neutral site. Aggy is horrible away from Kyle field. They were 5-1 @ Kyle field until Texas rolled in.

But here you go

Texas smashed Okie Lite 41-14
    Okie Lite beat Georgia
    Georgia beat Arky

C wut I did thur?

2. doe
    Dec 02, 2009

I guess last year didn't teach you that defense wins championships. Who scored more points and allowed fewer??? Say what you will…you have to be able to stop them in order to win games.

3. William

So lets focus on this.

Tebow is a decent fullback who can throw once in awhile

McCoy is a fantastic QUARTERBACK who can run the ball once in awhile

This cannot be debated or denied

4. William

Or how about this

Texas defeated UTEP 64-7 (UTEP had a TOTAL OFFENSE OF 53 yards)
    UTEP defeated Houston
    Houston defeated Mississippi St
    Florida had to be saved by SEC officials V Mississippi St. (ya boi Chokebo threw a pick 6)

5. William
    Dec 02, 2009

Finally, I would have loved to post another 52-10 Texas/Arky score (2008 score), but they pulled a scared coward & postponed indefinitely year 2 of their home/away series with Texas.

Same with Utah.

Teams runnin scared from Texas.

Kudos to Deloss & Mack for finding 2 D1 replacements, and not having to pull a classic SEC/Florida coward move, and schedule a D1AA 3 win opponent ;p

6. AnyoneButMcCoy
    Dec 02, 2009

For a "decent fullback who can throw once in awhile", Tebow's career stats aren't bad:

84 TD passes, 15 INTs (5.6 TD passes per INT), as well as 9.25 yards/attempt

Compare those to McCoy, the "fantastic QUARTERBACK":

112 TD passes, 42 INTs (2.67 TD passes per INT), 8.13 yards/attempt

7. Guilf
    Dec 02, 2009

Neither SEC team will run scared from your boys. Just come back and visit me on January 8 when reality has set in for you.

8. Guilf
    Dec 02, 2009

Highest career passer rating in the the history of the FBS. Decent fullback? Right.

• William
      Dec 02, 2009

Playing against what pass d's? I don't know of many great NFL DB SEC players the last 3 yrs.

McCoy will go down as the all time Completion % leader (Not to mention having a record that probably will never be broken, his 76.6% comp%)

The reason no one except SEC/Gaytor fans are taking you seriously, is because you have zero objectivity. You're skewing/manipulating stats to favor your boy Tebow.

You would never dream of posting stats that make your guy look bad.

• AnyoneButMcCoy
        Dec 03, 2009

How about this NCAA record: best career ratio of TD passes to INTs. Tebow owns this record by a mile. 5.6/1. In second place is Matt Leinart with 4.3/1. McCoy is at 2.7/1.

That's a lot more impressive than McCoy's completion percentage. Who cares about that when his yards per attempt is lower than 37 other quarterbacks?

9. William
    Dec 02, 2009

Why just do that, why don't you "MAN UP".. $50-100 paypal bet?
    Or we can pay face to face in Pasadena the night of?

Come back at me after you see Texas' record V the SEC.
    Then to save yourself the effort, look at the record even when you take out Texas' record V Arky

10. cffanslike
    Dec 02, 2009

people are making the argument that you shouldnt give tebow the trophy because he has lower stats from his 2007 year… but what they don't realize is colts are lower than last year. if he didnt deserve it with better stats last year… why give it to him this year?

cffanslike

• William
      Dec 02, 2009

I think its pretty much a consensus that Colt DID deserve it last year. Just like Vince Young deserved it in 2005.

Tebow has zero shot of winning it. When you SEC gomers finally realize this, it will probably make your daily life easier.

11. Steve
    Dec 02, 2009

William, did your mother snort cocaine when she was pregnant with you?

• William
      Dec 02, 2009

Ya "STEVEN", thats what happened. Ya know, I'm sorry I don't use skewed stats to pump up my Fullback, oops I mean "Quarterback". HAHAHAHA

Tebow is a horrible passer. Just stop.

But he is without a DOUBT the best 1yd td runner EVER

• Steve
        Dec 03, 2009

I guess being the highest rated passer in NCAA history makes him a horrible quarterback. You win.

12. Steve
    Dec 02, 2009

What a lot of people are also not considering is there's a reason Tebow's stats the last two years weren't as good as 2007. NOBODY before or after him has put up the numbers he put up in 2007. People expect him to make college football history in the stat column three straight years. It's impossible.

13. cffanslike
    Dec 02, 2009

No one has stood out this year and therefore many voters are going to vote on the basis of the overall career… and no matter how you draw out colts stats, he doesn't compare to Tim. This is the first year he's even going to his own conference championship. For the first 2 years he was at Texas, Aggies called him Cart McCoy because every time they played, he ended up on a cart. It's not a contest.

cffanslike

• William
      Dec 02, 2009

Uh, no. Only the first year did he end up on a cart.. And that was after 2 ILLEGAL SCUMBAG hits they put on an already injured McCoy. Both Aggy players were ejected.

And what do you mean any way you put it?

McCoy 3-0 in bowls
      Tebow 1-1 in bowls

McCoy 44-7 as a starter, 1st Qb to post 4 consecutive 10+ win seasons
      Tebow 34-5 as a starter

McCoy 13,060yds passing 112 tds
      Tebow 8,556yds passing 84tds

Call me crazy, but it seems like the only way you can say Tebows stats are better, is if you're like the original author of this blog and SKEW/SPIN the stats to your favor.

• Steve
        Dec 03, 2009

And how many more passes has McCoy thrown in his career than Tebow? He's started for four years, Tebow has only started three. McCoy has thrown 1,607 passes in his career, Tebow has thrown 925. I would hope like hell McCoy has 4,500 more yards if he's thrown nearly 700 more passes than Tebow in his career. Tebow's winning percentage as a starter is 87.1%, McCoy's is 86.2%, so he's not even as good a winner as Tebow. You truly are an ignorant, moronic jackass.

14. William
    Dec 02, 2009

The only way all you just said about BlowU is relevant would be if BlowU actually, ya know. Beat Texas?

But the SEC is used to beating teams that didnt belong in the NC game ;p

15. Guilf
    Dec 02, 2009

Skewed stats – direct from the NCAA stats site? Yeah.

16. William
    Dec 02, 2009

Bottom line

McCoy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chokebo as a QUARTERBACK
    Chokebo >>> McCoy as a fullback
    McCoy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chokebo as a Clutch Qb

17. William

Lol. Armanti Edwards >>>>>>>> Chokebo

At least Edwards beat Meeeechigan (and did it @Michigan), Chokebo couldnt even beat Meeeeechigan in the State of Florida. hahahasldhf;sdlfhlsdhah

18. William
    Dec 02, 2009

Let me as you this then Guilf.

Does Texas REALLY have the best rush defense in the country?

Because NCAA.com sure says they do?

Or do they have the best rushing defense because the Big XII doesnt have many top 50 running teams?

Be consistent, but logical. Don't be another SEC goon

19. Justin
    Dec 02, 2009

What are they going to do all day if they can't sit around and jerk off to Tim Tebow stats?

Who cares anymore…just wait for the damn game. Let's see how great Tebow is when Sergio Kindle is hunting his overrated ass all over the field.

I sure hope Tebow likes playing H-Back, cuz that's where his career is headed.

20. Keepinitreal

Blah blah blah.

Colt wins, and you suck.

21. JC
    Dec 02, 2009

“The inference was that I am cherrypicking good numbers for Tebow.”

You are. What you did is completely omit the most common stats, and scour the stat sheet for a few outliers that would prove your point. This is what I see when I look up passing stats:

McCoy
    310/432 71.8% 3328 yds 277.3/game 27 TD 9 INT

Tebow
    162/244 66.4% 2166 yds 180.5/game 17 TD 4 INT

22. StregaHorn
    Dec 02, 2009

#1, Tebow plays QB, and he only has 17 passing TDs to Colt McCoy's 27.

#2, if you want to know what a Running QB stat line should look like in a Heisman, undefeated season, then look at this…

Passing
    212/3253036 yds 65.2 26TD 10INT

Rushing
    155 attempts 1050 yards6.8 yds/carry12 TDs

And that was in 13 games.

#3. This year, Tebow isn't even the best QB on his team. That would be Brantley. In 2008, he was no the best player, that was Percy Harvin. And Tebow is DEFINITELY NOT the best player of all time. He is not transcendent. He is not clutch.

23. AnyoneButMcCoy
    Dec 03, 2009

By the way, I like the way you respond to facts with "yeah… but… uhh… SEC pass defenses suck!" As if Big XII pass defense don't. LOL

24. BigBoy
    Dec 03, 2009

The question is… if you were to put together a football team, who do you think would give you the best chance to win?

25. SportsinPerspective

Well, obviously Colt McCoy

26. SportsinPerspective
    Dec 03, 2009

lol @ comparing a fb who barely qualifies to even be listed on the NCAA stats due to not throwing the rock ever (instead running 1yd runs) to real quarterbacks.

27. Steve
    Dec 03, 2009

Colt McCoy didn't start his true freshman season. He started by default after Vince Young left. Tebow got significant playing time and contributed heavily to a BCS National Championship team. How many rings has McCoy played for, whether they be Big 12 or BCS? Most wins in NCAA history and absolutely zero, zilch, nada hardware to show for it. But yeah, he's "clutch." Spare me.

• StregaHorn
      Dec 03, 2009

It is called a redshirt. Oh and by the way, Colt had to win the job vs. Jevan Snead, you know the guy who beat the mighty Tebus AT THE SWAMP last year.

• William
        Dec 03, 2009

HAHAHAHAHHAhA. Ya, I pointed that out to Guilf (Owner of this blog). He stopped replying after that.

A Texas QB washout beat the big baaaaaad Gaytors in the Swamp. Accounting for 3 touchdowns, only 1 turnover.

Thats pretty sad that even our JV guys can beat Florida.
        So what will the varsity QB do?

28. AnyoneButMcCoy
    Dec 03, 2009

I sense some Tebow envy on the part of Longhorns fans. Wanting to tear the man down to build up their candidate.

29. Jack
    Dec 03, 2009

Tebow looked fantastic against a really bad FSU defense

30. StregaHorn
    Dec 03, 2009

Are you telling me Tebow wasn't good enough to start all four years at Florida? No way!

31. Guilf
    Dec 03, 2009

LOL. Dude I stopped replying because I can't keep up with all the comments. I catch them on the first level reply and then lose the thread. Getting a LOT of hate mail/comments. :)

That loss was a lot less of Snead/Tebow and a lot more the five fumbles (three in the red zone). But I hear you. Again, it is obvious (read the latest post) that no matter what I post to Texas fans I am skewing stats (even though I am cutting and pasting actual stats directly from the NCAA). I hope we're both able to win this weekend (think our game is in far more doubt than yours) and the teams have the chance to be healthy and settle it on the field.

32. AnyoneButMcCoy
    Dec 04, 2009

Well, if you want to win championships, probably best to go with the PROVEN quarterback, Tim Tebow. If you want a fifth-year senior who has started four years but hasn't won even a conference championship yet, then go with McCoy.

33. Joshua
    Dec 04, 2009

You people are hilarious….Yes I am a huge UF fan and huge Tebow fan but more or less just a college football fan in general…I also think Colt McCoy is a phenemonal College Football player….And seriously Stats? The beauty behind Tebow is that he realy could care less about his stats. The only stat he cares about is in the Championship column. Anyone want to compare those between Tebow and McCoy? All stats aside who do you want as your QB in the NC Game? Ill take Tebow anyday of the week and twice on Saturday!!!! All this who is the best QB and who has the better stats will be settled in January…No doubt in my mine Tebow holds up his 3rd National Championship Trophy….

• Justin
      Dec 04, 2009

Thank god there's no doubt in your MINE. Phew. I'm sure that will help Tim sleep better at day.

I really just can't wait for January 7th. Actually I can't wait till January 9th when I have started to sober up and come visit this site and see what all you Tebow/Gator homers have to say when Texas does the same thing we did the last two times we went into the Rose Bowl.

34. Ryan
    Dec 06, 2009

Another game against a top 50 defense for McCoy this week.

20/36 for 184 yards, 0 TD, 3 INT and a measely 5.1ypa

Awful.

35. chords for guitar
    Dec 23, 2010

Great information, quite a few thank you to the author.

36. Josue Caradonna the SR22 Insurance Guy
    Feb 24, 2011

i’m adding your blog rss feed so that i can see your new posts. keep up the good:)

37. Xenia K.
    Aug 11, 2011

Hey! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site? I’m getting fed up of WordPress because I’ve had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

38. Mirek Z.
    Jan 05, 2012

Greetings to all, great blog!

39. Branden
    Aug 04, 2013

Great post.

40. gourmet monthly clubs savings codes
    Apr 18, 2014

I was recommended this web site by my cousin.

I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no
    one else know such detailed about my difficulty.
    You are amazing! Thanks!

41. linotype shopping codes discount
    Apr 19, 2014

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate
    to this superb blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS
    feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh
    updates and will share this website with my Facebook group.
    Talk soon!

42. laura ashley prmo codes
    Apr 19, 2014

Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything
    I’ve worked hard on. Any recommendations?