So then its settled…Ole Miss was the best …

Posted on April 19, 2014

Comment posted SEC Defense vs. Big 12 Offense by Justin.

So then its settled…Ole Miss was the best team in the country last year? They beat Florida who beat Oklahoma and Alabama, and they beat Texas Tech who beat Texas. Damn that Ole Miss team was a team for the ages!

Justin also commented

• Yeah they were the same TEAM, but as it was said before, you can't really expect a team to be in mid-season form in their first game, especially when it's a game against a fairly respectable opponent. Not a team you're favored to beat by 72 points.
  • No Michael, I have never said anything negative about Tim Tebow. I think he's a great player, I kind of feel bad for him because the media rubs him in everyones face so unless you're a Florida fan you're bound to get tired of it. I can say unequivocally that if it was Colt McCoy they were doing that with, Texas fans would eat it up. Though I must admit some of Tebow's antics seem a little phony, but maybe I am a bit biased.

My argument with all the "stats" that you post is that you spin it to make the SEC/Florida/Tebow look better. SEC has higher ranked pass defenses so Tebow's overall stats, while lower than Colt's must mean he's better since he played better defenses. You fail to mention that the Big 12 has far superior pass offenses than the SEC so it stands to reason that the Big 12 will have lower-ranked pass defenses.

Another thing that you failed to mention in your Tebow vs McCoy "analysis" is that 10 of Tebow's 17 TD passes came against his OOC foes: Charleston Southern, Troy, FAU and some other cupcake. Against those super tough SEC defenses, Tebow had 7 passing and 8 rushing TDs. Not exactly superstar numbers.

So, in summation Michael, I don't have a problem with admitting Tebow is a great player. I have a problem with your biased reporting and articles. And for christ's sake son…YOU WERE BORN IN TEXAS!

• I never said last year didn't matter. And our conference's champ was a fluke. I heard Tebow begged the BCS to put Oklahoma over Texas because he was scared to play them last year. No such luck this year.
  • How did Florida do vs Ole Miss last year?

Scoreboard.

• 37-13 with 12 minutes left, and 31-14 with 8 minutest left is a bit different than 45-3 at the start of the 4th quarter.

Also to compare the Aggy/Texas game to the Aggy/Arkansas game is ridiculous. You have to be smart enough to know that stats/records don't really matter in huge rivalry games. By that logic Mark Ingram ran for 35 yards (or whatever) vs Auburn, so he must suck now.

Stop spinning everything to make Florida look good. Nobody is saying they're a bad team. And I haven't heard a tenth of the media coverage about the Big 12's big time offenses this year, as I did last year. You're just grasping at straws.

If I felt like wasting money I could make a blog to perpetually suck Colt McCoys dick and spend my entire life writing articles that make the Big 12/Texas/Colt McCoy look better than everybody else in the country too.

Recent comments by Justin

• Tebow vs. McCoy – The Careers
    Now you're fighting sleep my friend. You can't post selective stats that make Tebow look better and say they are a true valuation of the players, but when somebody posts stats that make McCoy look better you say that it doesn't count.

I would take 3rd down and red zone efficiency over most of those other stats anyways. I want a guy who can extend drives and score in red zone more than a guy who can run for an extra yard per carry in the middle of the field.

• Tebow vs. McCoy
    Thank god there's no doubt in your MINE. Phew. I'm sure that will help Tim sleep better at day.

I really just can't wait for January 7th. Actually I can't wait till January 9th when I have started to sober up and come visit this site and see what all you Tebow/Gator homers have to say when Texas does the same thing we did the last two times we went into the Rose Bowl.

• Tebow vs. McCoy – The Careers
    Found my answer to one of the questions:

Pat White
    684car 4,480yds 47tds

Eric Crouch
    648car 3,950yds 59tds

• Tebow vs. McCoy – The Careers
    LMAO @ "he is the quarterback not the fullback." You sure Urban knows that?

SMH @ your entire comment. I never said anything about discrediting his TDs, I was just curious how many were for more than 10 yards. You don't have to get so defensive buddy.

And really, isn't the point of playing QB & WR to complete short passes and then make somebody miss and take it to the house? Should every QB throw the ball 40 yards on every play? LOL.

• Tebow vs. McCoy – The Careers
    No offense but who cares how many TDs were from less than 10 yards out, he is the quarterback not the fullback. I guess we should discredit some of McCoy's TDs since many of them were just 15 yard passes that receivers made subpar defenders miss on tackles and ran 50 yac for the score.

powered by SEO Super Comments

Be Sociable, Share!

22 Responses to “So then its settled…Ole Miss was the best …”

1. Dan
    Dec 03, 2009

UT-Ark: Texas only gained 421 yards…ok well, first off 421 yards is a heck of a lot of yards. Secondly, it was 45-3 after three quarters and Colt McCoy didn't play in the fourth quarter because Mack Brown doesn't run up the score on people. You honestly believe Texas wouldn't have cracked 500 if they were really trying?

Texas Tech-Ole Miss: I fail to see why anyone would thump their chest for allowing 469 yards in game regardless of how many yards under the opponents season average it is. It's still a lot of yards.

Florida-OU: Your best argument. Nobody can deny that Florida did an amazing job shutting down the OU offense. However, you cite Florida gaining 480 yards in that game. That's an incredible number undoubtedly, but Oklahoma's defense gave up 400+ yards against five Big 12 teams, let's not go saying gaining 480 yards against that Defense was something that was out of the blue.

Oklahoma State-Georgia: Georgia played a good defensive game for the most part, but why are we jumping to conclusions based on the first game of the season? Is it not out of the question to think that a team isn't in midseason form in week one?

Texas A&M-Arkansas: You said this: "Thus A&M spent the entire second half throwing on the last ranked SEC defense and still was held to just below their season average." Held just below their season average…for a team that averaged 465 yards per game. And oh by the way, from your assessment you make it sound like Texas A&M compiled a ton of yardage in the second half, but they gained a little more than half of their yards in the second half of that game.

You made five arguments in this post, three of them were completely asinine and one was an ok argument for a game the SEC team lost. You made one legitimate argument in this post. One out of five ain't bad.

• Guilf
      Dec 03, 2009

The argument I've been received is that Big 12 Defenses are ranked low because the offenses are so amazing that it would make any defense look bad. Numerous comments have also said that SEC defenses aren't any good, but look good because SEC offenses are so bad. Yet in 5 of 5 games a lower (conference) ranked SEC defense held a higher (conference) ranked Big 12 offense to fewer yards than their season averages. Poor offenses and poor defenses beat "amazing" Big 12 offenses and defenses when similarly ranked teams met. This year the score was 47-19 and your best offense met our WORST defense. The two times the Big 12 won was when one of your top teams met one of our middle teams. But MY argument is asinine. :right:

As for Mack not running up scores or stats. Don't make me laugh. Kansas game. Texas up 37-13…McCoy still in throwing the ball with 12:00 left in the game. Colorado game. Texas up 31-14 with 8:00 to play. Colt in the game and still throwing – taken out for the final possession (1:42 left in the game). Missouri – Texas up 35-7 at half. McCoy in until 12:00 of the fourth throwing the ball. Shall I go further?

Go try to sell that stuff at Hook 'em Horns or wherever else you came from.

• Justin

2. Joe
    Dec 03, 2009

First logic problem….overlapping years. You can't have that comparison.
    Second logic problem….small sample size. You would need to have every Big 12 team play every SEC team in order to get some valid results.
    Third logic problem….you assume every game plan is the same week, week out for every opponent. Hardly the case.

Apples and Oranges. Love the effort, but the SEC arrogance is showing.

• Guilf
      Dec 03, 2009

Look up – answered all of these. Large sample size is the NCAA rankings across all teams/conferences/games. Your brethren claimed those weren't fair because it's not head to head games and ALL the Big 12 offenses are so amazing that it skews the numbers. Don't look so "amazing" against the average SEC defense. And, as I said (TWICE now), included last year because 1) Texas-Arky has been used in about 20 comments/e-mails and 2) we heard this same ridiculous argument about last years' stellar offenses.

• Justin
        Dec 03, 2009

How did Florida do vs Ole Miss last year?

Scoreboard.

• Steve
          Dec 03, 2009

And Ole Miss pantsed the team that beat Texas. What's your point?

• Justin

3. Justin
    Dec 03, 2009

I didn't know Bill O'Reilly was a Tim Tebow fan.

Who won the Unitas Award today? Why isn't there an article about that? I'm sure you're preparing one about why Tebow should've won.

• Guilf
      Dec 03, 2009

Nope – actually wrote a congratulations article the second I saw it and said it was well deserved. It's the Golden Arm trophy. I don't refute that he's had a fantastic year passing the ball. Tons of yards through the air. Tebow is the most outstanding player in college football. Perfect fallback award for McCoy.

I didn't publish it because it would attract more of the same comments from Texas fans. I haven't hear an original thought in days. Big 12 is better. Stats don't mean anything. You skew by looking at NCAA stats other than total yards. Unit rankings don't mean anything. Oh and – what about that game 22 games ago where you guys fumbled five times and lost by a point. :thumbsup:

4. Justin
    Dec 03, 2009

How can you take the first game of the season Georgia/Okie Lite and then say they held them below their season average. It was the first game of the season. LOL They should've never given you the internet.

• Guilf
      Dec 03, 2009

They have a season average, right? You're one of those people that says – when we played such and such, they were in the Top 10 – aren't you? Even if that team lost five over the season and is out of the rankings? They were the same team then. If they had an anomalous game and earned 1000 yards one game, but averaged 300 for the season – that's the team they were. It's the reason the NCAA keeps rankings and they are utilized in every game analysis since the history of statistics. If not, why even keep records or anything?

5. Guilf
    Dec 03, 2009

You're a genius. Does last year matter or not?

Trophy case. Beat your conference's champ for the crystal.

6. Justin

7. Justin

8. Justin

9. Steve
    Dec 03, 2009

Did you ever watch a Georgia game and see just how bad that defense was? They shut OSU down for much of that game.

10. Guilf
    Dec 03, 2009

I am currently in the process of writing the honest appraisal of Tebow I think you guys are looking for. Sick as a dog with a cold, so it's taking some time. The switching between Excel and Firefox is much slower today than it's been in the past.

How do you know I was born in Texas?

11. Guilf
    Dec 03, 2009

Forget it – I know. Totally forgot about those links. :) Like I said – a little slow on the uptake today.

12. Guilf
    Dec 03, 2009

I actually like the Longhorns and what they stand for and I like McCoy. And I think the worst thing for Tebow has been the neverending stream of nauseating stories about him. I keep telling my girl – we love him, but if he played for FSU or Bama or Texas (or whoever), we'd be sick of him too. But he hasn't asked for it and he's handled it all with grace. Gator Nation can't help but love him. Put a lot of my last couple of weeks into this and I've never even seen the kid from farther than 100 yards. And, contrary to many commenters belief, I'm far less of a nerd than I seem and have a life.

I wish the Longhorns luck this weekend (don't think you're going to need it). Hope we get a chance to play this out in LA.

13. Joe
    Dec 03, 2009

Uh….have you looked at some of the past Johnny Unitas winners? Golden Arm maybe, but it's for the best college QB of the year:
    Tommie Frazier
    Charlie Ward
    Tony Rice
    Rodney Peete

Those guys were the best QB's and players of the year. They didn't throw for ridiculous passing yards. So how do you defend that?

14. Guilf
    Dec 03, 2009

I didn't choose the award or the voters. Is there any consistency to any of these voters or even their votes year-to-year? If Gerhart wins the Heisman, we're both gonna shrug and say "WTF were they thinking"?